October Member of the Month: Deborah Watson-Stokes, Office of the District Attorney
1. Tell us briefly what a typical work day is like for you.
As the newly-appointed Supervisor of the MC Unit, every hour of my day is filled. I observe and teach new ADAs in court and assist with the training of our new hires. I try to lead by example, so on occasion I will do preliminary hearings.
2. What do you enjoy most about your job?
What I enjoy most about my job is the ability to mentor new attorneys. I love being able to shape and mold new legal minds.
3. What do you enjoy most about being a member of the Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia?
I enjoy the meetings and being surrounded by Black Excellence. It’s a truly rewarding opportunity to network with the most talented and powerful African-American Attorneys in Philadelphia. They really are an impressive group.
4. What do you believe has been your most important personal attribute in your legal career?
Tenacity is my most important attribute. Never accept “No” for an answer. Always believe in yourself, even when no one else does. PERIOD !
5. What has been the best moment of your career thus far?
The best moment of my career thus far was receiving The Barristers’
Association Justice Juanita Kidd Stout Woman of Distinction Award. Being
acknowledged by my peers for my mentorship was certainly one of the proudest moments of my career.
6. If you hit the lottery tonight, where could we find you tomorrow?
You could find me in West Philadelphia breaking a plot of land to build a state of the art private school for our children. I would create a safe place for our teenagers, especially the young men, to be after hours. With whatever money left over, I would go on an all expense paid cruise with all of my family and friends.
7. What artists are you listening to now?
I’m currently listening to Al Jarreau (all songs), Stevie Wonder (all songs), Chris Jenkins “War”, and O.T. Genasis “Everybody Mad”.
8. What is your favorite restaurant in the Philadelphia area?
My favorite restaurants are El Vez and SOUTH.
9. If you had a chance to give out your own award, who would you recognize?
My award would have to go to my husband for being such a shining example of a strong, supportive Black man. We have been married for well over 25 years. For many of those years, he worked two jobs while dedicating his life to raising our children and being a constant support system for me.
10. What advice would you give to members of the Barristers?
My advice would be to keep striving for excellence, don’t listen to your critics, and always believe in yourself!